At Utopia Academy, we are guided by values of respect, passion, integrity and compassion. Our program skillfully combines the clinical and wellness models of massage therapy and is taught in five levels over 20 months. As an accredited school by the College of Massage Therapists of B.C., we prepare students to succeed by teaching them the skills necessary to complete the standard provincial board examinations.
Read below for a course description of each semester and for information about our PART-TIME COURSE click here.
Governing Boards within British Columbia
Level 100 lays the foundation for successful completion of the program and prepares the learner for entry into the student clinic internship. Over 75% of the instruction in this level is devoted to developing ‘hands on’ skills, while the remaining 25% is devoted to Professional Development, and the understanding of Anatomy and Physiology. Palpation, manual techniques and clinical assessment are key elements of Level 100. At the end of this level the learner will have appropriate skills knowledge and attitudes to confidently do a relaxing massage and to begin their internship.
Level 200 builds on the foundation of Level 100. The student is introduced to several new subjects such as Pathology and Therapeutic exercises. Learners are introduced to concepts of rehabilitation, case management, clinical reasoning and critical thinking methodology. The Clinical internship begins in this level.
Level 300 introduces the learner to Orthopedic and Systemic pathologies, and the principles of treatment and management of related complaints such as tendonitis, bursitis, scars, headaches, digestives disorders etc. Integration of didactic and practical information is an important aspect of training in Level 300. Students are also introduced to advanced manual techniques such as Joint Mobilizations, and guidelines for working with athletes. At the end of this level learners will have begun to develop their clinical reasoning and critical thinking skills, and will be able to apply these skills to client care and management during their clinical internship.
Level 400 builds on the clinical reasoning and critical thinking skills developed to date. Learners are presented with more challenging orthopedic and systemic medical conditions and the various methods of therapeutically managing these conditions.
Level 500 introduces the learner to several advanced manual techniques such as Cranial Sacral and Myofascial Assessment and Treatment. Instructors will work closely with learners to ensure the concepts and treatment principles taught in the classroom are properly understood and applied. At the end of this level students will be prepared to sit for the provincial registration examinations set by the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia.
In addition to the introduction to several advanced manual techniques in level 500, students at all levels attend and observe a series of Cadaver Lab presentations.
Please Note: Utopia Academy reserves the right to change course offerings, course content, kit contents, facilities, faculty, tuition fees, and course schedules without prior notice.